I wanted to continue with empties posts as one of my goals for 2019 is to buy less, so that I am buying with intention and will use mostly only the products I love. I also decluttered my relatively small makeup collection and donated a few new meh type of makeup products to the Beauty Bus Foundation. The new Mari Kondo Netflix show is on my list to help live a life that’s more fulfilling and less crowded.
Here are the monthly empties.
I used these travel size products on my trip.
- Shisedo urban sunscreen SPF40 for Face & Body: I don’t love it because of the somewhat chemical scent. The other Shisedo sunscreen SPF42 that comes in a bottle for the face is great though.
- Dior Show mascara: it’s volumizing but can be clumpy if you are not careful.
- Clinique eye lip makeup remover: It’s effective and non-irritating to the eyes. Will consider repurchasing.
- Caudalie creme sorbet: I used to love it for summer time but I think I’ve outgrown it. It’s just okay.
- Malin + Gomez Grapefruit Cleanser: a very gentle gel cleanser for the morning. I am not a fan of the somewhat artificial grapefruit scent despite the brand’s claim to use mostly natural ingredients. Will not be repurchasing.
- SKII RNA eye cream: it’s moisturizing but not revolutionary.
- Kiehl’s midnight recovery eye cream: I don’t like the Kiehl’s midnight recovery serum/oil but I’m surprised that I really like the eye cream. It’s extremely moisturizing but at the same time gets absorbed easily and quickly around the eyes. Will consider repurchasing.
- 3 hair products: I won’t be repurchasing any of these though. The Loreal Ever Strong Shampoo is a let down as I thought it will be something that can help with texture and volume, but it didn’t and it might have caused some itchiness with my scalp.
- First aid beauty radiance pads are not a favorite either. They are a bit irritating while not effective.
- Paula’s choice 2% AHA lotion is very strong and might make your skin flake if you use it consistently for a few days, but it’s effective at treating breakouts.
- The Charlotte Tilbury magic cream sample is moisturizing but nothing amazing.
- I’m still on the fence with the Hourglass mineral primer. As an expensive cult favorite primer, I like it but I don’t know if I love it.
- The ordinary caffeine eye serum is my favorite Ordinary item as it’s effective at treating puffiness with my upper eyelids in the morning.
- Supergoop lip balm with SPF is nice and I’ve already repurchased it.
- The Biossance Squalane + Probiotic Gel Moisturizer is a delightful surprise. I loved how lightweight yet hydrating the cream feels and its clean ingredients are a plus. I will consider repurchasing it and use it as a day cream.
- Shisedo ultimune power infusing concentrate serum is a staple in my collection and I have one more back-up bottle in my collection. It’s nothing magical but a pleasant lightweight serum that wears nicely under any cream and makeup during the day. I also like its light green tea scent. I probably will always keep one bottle in my collection if I don’t know what to use during the day.
- Lamer regenerating serum has a nice texture but I didn’t see dramatic results from the small sample so not sure yet how I feel about it.
Two more hair products that are both from the brand Not Your Mother’s.
I have another 1 or 2 bottles of the Not Your Mother’s blow dry accelerator. They are effective and I will continue repurchasing it but also wanted to try some new alternatives. The Dove blow dry spray I’m trying out now leaves traces in my hair and I don’t like it.
The Not Your Mother’s dry shampoo is only effective for maybe a few hours and then the hair will fall flat and I am getting rid of it after trying to make it work for a few weeks.
The vanilla shower oil is nice but I won’t be loyal to this brand. It’s the first shower oil I tried though and I will repurchase more shower oil for cold weather as it is more hydrating than a regular body wash gel.
I also included some new opens of makeup and skincare.
- The Charlotte Tilbury pillowtalk lipstick color is a bit too light for me.
- The Benefit Porefessional primer is still an old reliable goodie.
- The micro brow pencil rekindles my love for these type of brow products and I’ve purchased a few Ulta ones and a few from Sephora and Anastasia. They are better at shaping my brows than a brow definer type of thicker pencils.
- I also opened a lighter shade of the Too Faced peach perfect matte foundation. It’s a great matte oil control type of foundation for combination to oil skin. I will consider repurchasing it but I’m not close in using up even the first tube as I don’t apply a thick layer of foundation.
- Tatcha one-step cleansing oil is an old favorite and I’m rediscovering it and falling in love with it again. It’s not too thick but also potent enough to remove all makeup while not leaving a film on the skin. I will consider repurchasing it.
- I’ve also opened the Tatcha mist but the pretty packaging is the main draw for me.
- I’ve also opened a Paula’s Choice Niacinamide booster. It’s like a water/lotion and you can add it to your moisturizer but I just apply it directly to my face. Not yet sure how I feel about it.
- Sarah Chapman Overnight Facial is a holy grail oil. It contains vitamin A so is anti-aging and my face is glowy the next morning whenever I use it at night. I will repurchase it for cold weather.
- Origins check & balances cleanser & the Estee Lauder foam cleanser are similar in terms of how they leave your skin feel clean & non-drying afterwards, and are great second-cleanse night cleanser to use with Foreo. I will consider repurchasing these but I’m leaning towards the Estee Lauder one.
- Timeless Q10 serum is just okay. I’ve only used this and the CEF serum from Timeless and the CEF one is much more effective.
- Tata Harper resurfacing mask is another staple in my collection as it’s a quick 10-minute morning wash-off mask and will leave your skin radiant for the entire day. At the moment, I’m alternating between this and the REN radiance renewal mask which also has a similar result on the skin.
- Fresh Black Tea cream is just okay. I’m interested in trying out the Black Tea mask though.
- The No.7 serum feels a bit too heavy on my skin and the Palladio concealer came dry and unusable.