I have hooded and puffy eyes so I had been sticking with matte eyeshadows for a long time as shimmery eyeshadows tend to accentuate the puffiness. But it’s summer time, and who doesn’t want some glow from within and on their eyes?! So I’ve purchased a few shimmery shades and these actually work really well as long as you only apply these to your lids but not creases if you also have hooded eyes.
L to R: a pink shimmery shade in a BareMinerals palette, Colourpop eyeshadow in Amaze, Loreal infallible eyeshadow in Amber Rush, Clio eyeshadow stick Gin & Tonic
- A pink shimmery shade from a BareMinerals ready, set, glow palette
- Colourpop eyeshadow in Amaze
- Loreal infallible eyeshadow in Amber Rush
- Clio eyeshadow stick pencil in gin & tonic
Here are my thoughts on these shades:
- I don’t know if you can tell from the swatch, the Colourpop shadow has the least finely milled glitter and is actually my least favorite among the bash. There is also glitter fall off throughout the day. So I’ve stopped using it all together. It’s more glittery than shimmery.
- The Loreal one swatches really beautifully on my arm with just one swipe. But as it has a pink/red undertone, it tends to make my eyes look more puffed (yep red/pink shades are to be used with caution for puffy eyes). It lasts a good amount of time and is not glittery but truly shimmery. I like it.
- The pink shimmery shade from BareMinerals is not as impressive as the others in terms of pigmentation as I do need to apply a few coats to get the similar color payoff as the other shadows maybe because this is the only true powdery eyeshadow (the other three are more on the creamy side). Again, like but not love.
- My holy grail shimmery shadow is the Gin&Tonic eyeshadow pencil from Clio. It’s not a drugstore product ($22 in a NYC store) but it’s well worth the price! The texture is creamy and finely milled, applies very evenly, and it’s perfect for a rushed morning as it’s a pencil so no finger, one swipe and you are done! The color payoff is awesome and it lasts 12 hours + with no budge or fading at all. I’ve been reaching it all the time since I got it and I’m thinking of going back to purchase more shades.
Overall, in terms of both price and how they look on my eyes, here is the ranking
Colourpop < BareMinerals (it’s in a palette) < Loreal Infallible < Clio
What’s your favorite shimmery eyeshadow?
Thanks for stopping by!