Hey guys! Hope everyone had a good weekend! I was feeling lazy and spent most time at home and naturally I got sucked into the beauty world and I’m happy to report that I’ve found an amazing foundation trick that will give you flawless but natural look!
I learned this trick from the makeup artist Wanye Goss. I am a big fan of his website and videos as these are usually tips that actually work and he does a good job explaining why he does what he does! In my opinion, there is a huge difference between experienced makeup artists and amateur makeup lovers. If you don’t know what I mean, just watch some of his videos and you will find it hard to get back to some other so-called “beauty guru” videos.
My skin type: combination, acne prone skin. My skin issues: acne scars, large pores around the nose and some redness around the face. I feel I’m the perfect candidate for this trick as I need coverage but I don’t like applying thick layers of foundation as they make my face look cakey, patchy and dull.
Products I used:
- BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tined Hydrating Gel Cream (this is a recent discovery and I’ve fallen in love with it)
- Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra (TIU) 24H Foundation (a long-lasting foundation, one of my long-term favorites)
- BareMinerals Mineral Veil Finishing Powder
Note: I used these products because I have these at hand and this is not a product-specific trick.
The step-by-step guide:
- Apply your moisturizer and sunscreen, and then either apply your go-to makeup primer or skip as I did (it still lasted a good 8 hours on me without the primer).
- Apply a thin layer of mineral foundation and blend it out. I used the bareMineral one but I imagine any mineral foundation would work. I applied it with a dampened beauty blender (lately I usually dampen it with a facial spray or setting spray).
- Wait for 30 seconds for your mineral foundation to set (I curled my lashes in the meantime – I don’t like wasting any time in the morning!)
- Apply a thin layer of liquid/cream foundation on top of the mineral foundation and blend it out. I used the same beauty blender.
- Set your foundation with either powder or spray or both. I only powdered my T zone and skipped the setting spray (Again, all about speed and efficiency in the morning 🙂
You are done! I saw a noticeable difference immediately and throughout the day. I can’t remember how long ago has my face looked so smooth and natural! So what’s the key to this trick? Well, according to Wanye,
“Mineral foundation is great at adding coverage while liquid/cream foundation adds texture to your face.”
This makes perfect sense, doesn’t it? If you ever tried applying multiple layers of foundation, you usually end up having full coverage but a cakey, mask-like look, which is not flattering on anyone. Applying the mineral foundation solves the coverage issue while the cream/liquid foundation adds back the natural glow. I think the key to make it work is to make sure you are only applying a really thin layer for both the mineral and liquid/cream foundation.
I think I’ve just found the best foundation trick for my skin and I probably will use it everyday when I wear a foundation. Try it out if you haven’t yet and let me know whether it works for you! And if you also have secret foundation tips, please share in comments! I’d like to learn from you gals 🙂